This article covers the different methods of storing Crypto and the different advantages and disadvantages of each. It also explains the difference between custodial and non-custodial. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all available options, but this can be used as a reference when conducting research for crypto storage options. Please conduct your own due diligence before choosing a crypto wallet. Now, let’s dive in at take a look into the crypto storage ecosystem.
Methods for storing cryptocurrency
- Custodial Exchanges, Banks, Apps, Platforms, and Wallets
- Non-Custodial Hot Wallets
- Non-Custodial Cold Wallets
What is the difference between Custodial and Non-Custodial?
Custodial means that a centralized entity controls
the private keys that access the crypto.
For instance, Coinbase is a custodian for all crypto within their exchange. When you purchase crypto through Coinbase, you only purchase a claim on that specific amount of crypto on that exchange. The custodial financial responsibility is placed on the exchange or institution.
Non-Custodial means that when you setup a wallet or account, you have full
control of the private keys and thus sole access to the crypto.
The owner alone has access to that specific wallet and the crypto contained within that wallet. The owner of the private keys has a higher level of financial responsibility for that crypto wallet. For instance, if you lose your password, PIN, or seed phrase(s), you lose access to the crypto.
Custodial Exchanges, Banks, Wallets,
Apps, and Other Platforms
- Storing crypto in exchanges and banks is not as secure, lower security, but less personal responsibility.
- Various crypto platforms including exchanges and banks have been hacked and crypto has been stolen.
- Phrase to remember – “Not your keys, not your crypto.”
For more information about crypto hacks: Crypto Exchange Hacks
There are some benefits to keeping small amounts in crypto exchanges or banks.
- Interest bearing crypto savings accounts
- Staking for rewards
- Providing Liquidity for rewards
- Crypto Loans
- Day trading
Use caution when storing more than $5,000-10,000 worth of crypto in custodial platforms. Please do you own research and due diligence when investing in crypto exchanges, banks, apps, and other platforms. Please understand the risks involved before investing in crypto.
Non-Custodial Hot Wallets
Non-Custodial Hot Wallet Examples
Free – https://trustwallet.com/
- Mobile App
- Owned by Binance (One of the largest crypto exchanges in the world)
- Can store 160k+ different crypto assets
- Including Tokens, NTF’s, ERC20, etc.
- Internet Browser Extension and mobile app
- Can be used to purchase NFT’s, conduct cryptocurrency swaps on Uniswap, PancakeSwap, providing liquidity, yield farming, DeFi, etc.
- Used for many different Ethereum ecosystem transactions
- Mobile & Desktop App
- Compatible with Trezor non-custodial cold wallet
Non-Custodial Cold Wallets
- Very secure, offline storage, very difficult to hack via the internet.
- Requires a high level of personal financial responsibility.
- If you lose your password, PIN, or seed phrase (private key), you lose access to your crypto.
Non-Custodial Cold Wallet Examples
Ledger Nano S (USB)
- Highly rated, highly secure, very popular
- USB support
- Supports many different crypto assets
Trezor One (USB)
- Supports many different crypto assets
- 24 seed word private key password
- Also very secure, highly rated, and reliable
- Lowest cost option for cold wallets
- Very light, the size of a credit card
- LCD screen readout
- USB connection not required to check crypto balances
-Keep it Konjo
The content provided on this website does not constitute investment advice, financial advice, or trading advice. Please conduct your own due diligence and research before making any investments. This article is covers some crypto storage examples. It is not a comprehensive list or specific purchasing advice for any specific wallet, company, or service aforementioned. Please conduct your own research to determine the best storage solutions to meet your specific requirements. Please understand the risks involved before investing in crypto.